Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: .
Senior Research Investigator/Research Investigator, QSP&PBPK Methods
Location: Princeton, NJ OR Brisbane, CA, OR Cambridge, MA
Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) & Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetics (PBPK) have become an important component of discovery and clinical development. Mechanistic model and data characterization, calibration, and validation are critical aspects of QSP&PBPK modeling approaches needed during model development and application to establish confidence in models, confidence in their predictions, and leverage data to guide modeling efforts in innovative ways.
Our QSP&PBPK team has established expertise, impact, and tools to develop, calibrate, and apply QSP and PBPK models. We are searching for a scientist with expertise in model calibration algorithms and pipelines. Expertise with virtual population approaches is highly desired but advanced mathematical or statistical training and experience developing customized Bayesian algorithms would be a reasonable background. This scientist will bring expertise in calibrating the population variability in mechanistic models and experience leading scripted toolbox development.
- Provide leadership for existing model calibration and computing capabilities and future model, technology, and algorithm innovation and development
- Advance novel and rigorous methodologies for model variability calibration, sensitivity analysis, and prediction uncertainty characterization
- Advance existing and lead development of new tools that can be deployed using parallel resources on compute clusters with thousands of workers to accelerate characterization and calibration of ordinary differential equation models with substantial compute times in high dimensional spaces
- Assist therapeutic area expert modelers to accelerate efforts and ensure timely model development and calibration to impact drug development programs and coordinate technology development
- Maintain, advance, and coordinate codebases and documentation for data integration and analysis as well as model simulation, characterization, and calibration
- Serve as a primary liaison with company Information Technology and coordinate QSP&PBPK group technology strategy
- Partner with external groups to accelerate the internal efforts in key technology areas
- Contribute to the standards of practice within the department
- With some supervision, network with stakeholders other functions to facilitate methods, data, and model development and application
- Serve as a subject matter expert to both internal colleagues and the external scientific community
- Stay informed with emerging literature and science in the modeling and simulation sciences
- Build and maintain a personal track record of publication in the area of QSP & PBPK Methods
- Maintain an active relationship with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics at the project level as well as in the advancement of Pharmacometrics
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Biomedical/Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, or related field
- M.S. in appropriate field with significantly more experience may be considered
- For the Sr. Research Investigator position, Ph.D., 2+ years of mathematical modeling & computer simulation experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Experience within the pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting is desired (academic post-doctoral or faculty may be a consideration depending on the totality of prior experience)
- For the Research Investigator position, Ph.D., 0-2 years of mathematical modeling & computer simulation experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Experience within the pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting is desired (academic post-doctoral or faculty may be a consideration depending on the totality of prior experience)
- M.S. in appropriate field with significantly more experience may be considered
- Excellent understanding of the theory and principles in optimization and global sensitivity analysis including topics such as particle swarm optimization, quadratic programming, variance-based global sensitivity analysis
- Expertise in virtual population methods or related concepts and strategies for model calibration including applications of importance sampling and Bayesian algorithmic strategies (Markov Chain Monte Carlo, Metropolis Hastings, Sequential Monte Carlo, Likelihood-free methods)
- Experience in modeling pathophysiology and therapies or related systems biology models with ordinary differential equations
- Track record of developing scripted toolboxes for MATLAB and/or SimBiology, experience with version control, parallelization methods, experience profiling and optimizing code, and capability of quickly learning additional tools as needed such as R and Julia
- Experience running code on clusters is preferable, including experience with resources such as MATLAB Parallel Server and/or workload managers such as SLURM or torque
- Experience working with data integration as well as omics data sources and methods for their treatment is beneficial
- Ability to learn new areas of quantitative sciences and build on solid foundation of skills to develop new algorithmic strategies
- Ability to communicate internally and externally on topics related to model application for Clinical Pharmacology and application in context of QSP and PBPK is required
- Desire to interact as a modeling and simulation expert with matrix project teams working closely with experts from different functional areas (pre-clinical and clinical and multiple therapeutic areas)
- For position offered in California, the starting compensation for Research Investigator job is a range from [$132,000-$150,000]. For Senior Research Investigator job is a range from [$155,000-$182,000), 5,000), plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed. Final, individual compensation is decided based on demonstrated experience. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Careers site. Eligibility for specific benefits listed in our careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to . Visit to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.