Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: .
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
BMS is seeking a manager of Cell Therapy Manufacturing for a new manufacturing facility in Devens, MA. The Senior Manager will support the scale-up and commercial licensure of the Cell Therapy facility. In addition, the Senior Manager will be responsible for the people manufacturing both clinical and commercial product. This person will be a key leader responsible for GMP. This position will supervise shifts that cover 24/7 cell therapy operations and supervise manufacturing associates and supervisors.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant science or engineering discipline, or equivalent in work experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles required.
- Cleanroom garments and personal protective equipment will be required in designated areas which cover head, parts of the face, core body, and legs/feet.
- Ability to work in the vicinity of strong magnets.
- 12+ years of relevant work experience within pharmaceutical or a similarly regulated industry
- 8+ years of direct experience in cGMP biologics manufacturing, experience in cell therapy manufacturing preferred
- 6+ years supervising staff in a management role
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced understanding of cell culture, cryopreservation, purification, and aseptic processing or lab techniques
- Advanced knowledge of relevant regulations and guidance; available to act as a resource for colleagues
- Independent decision-making capability and ability to think conceptually and understand impact of decisions
- Technical writing capability and experience with writing, approving and training staff on SOPs, Batch Records, Change Controls, deviations and CAPAs.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Background to include an understanding of biology, chemistry, medical or clinical practices
- Proven leadership ability to carry out difficult decisions in a logical, rational manner, and demonstrated ability to work as a senior management team member and to engage and influence team members in a matrixed environment
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Establishes and manages multiple manufacturing teams, shifts and manufacturing areas. This includes:
- Hiring, mentoring and developing exceptional people: Conducting performance reviews and identifying opportunities for career growth for supervisors and associates.
- Championing a culture of exceptional teamwork and communication across the organization.
- Ensuring people have and maintain the appropriate level of training necessary for CAR-T GMP manufacturing in a multi-product commercial facility.
- Building effective cross-functional relationships with Quality, Supply Chain, MS&T, EHS and F&E.
- Ensuring a culture that embraces safety in the work environment and the safety of the patients by compliance with company procedures and policies, and cGMP requirements. Models these behaviors every day.
Plans for and executes Engineering Runs, Tech Transfer Runs and clinical operations for a new CAR-T product in the Devens CTF Manufacturing Plant. This includes:
- Establishing department goals, tracking and reporting KPIs, and driving a culture continuous improvement through innovation and implementing lean manufacturing initiatives.
- Implementing and operating manufacturing systems that are technically sound, promote effective and efficient operations, and comply with cGMP requirements.
- Building and maintaining a training program for cGMP and manufacturing systems.
- Ensuring schedules of the people, facility, equipment, materials, and documents are established and maintained to support the expected capacity of the facility for multiple CAR-T products.
- Identifying and mitigating risks in manufacturing operations that could negatively impact delivery of safe and effective therapies to patients.
- Ensuring on time closure of deviations, CAPAs, and change controls.
- Championing inspection readiness efforts and initiatives for Right First-Time manufacturing.
- Establishing team policies, organizational structure, shift structure, and career ladders for Associates, Team Leaders, Supervisors and Managers.
- Reviewing and approving documents, including standard operating procedures, batch records, material specifications, training materials and validation protocols / reports.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to . Visit to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.